Your stainless steel or plain-colored refrigerator does not have to look boring all the time. In fact, you can do a lot of things to make it look quite interesting. One of the ideas that you might want to try is creating a door handle cover. This should help protect your fridge from finger prints.
Here are the steps on how you can make this project:
1. Buy your materials first. You need to buy one yard of fabric. Choose the type of fabric that will cling to the door handle well. Silk might not be a good choice since it tends to slouch and slide off. A good fleece fabric or felt fabric might work better for this project. Choose one with a design that can complement the design of your kitchen.
If you have an unused dress with a cute and attractive fabric, you can also use that. Recycling is definitely encouraged for this project. In addition to the fabric, you will also need your measuring tape, thread with the same color as your fabric, pins and needles, a pair of scissors and Velcro or hook-and-eye closures. If you have a sewing machine, you can use that to make your work easier.
2. Fold the fabric in half. Leave about 3 inches of margin from the fold and cut a strip with about 26 inches of measurement from there. Unfold the strip of fabric and place the printed side down. If you are using a sewing machine, prepare the thread. On the short edges of the strip of fabric, sew about an inch of hem. For the longer edge, sew half an inch of the hem. If your fabric is a bit stiff and you have trouble sewing the hem because it keeps opening up, you can try pressing it first. Use a steam iron to press the fabric.
3. Attach the Velcro or the hook-and-eye closure. Attach them on the long side of the strip. A strip of Velcro should work better since it is easier to attach on the handle of the refrigerator door. If you are using a hook-and-eye closure, mark the areas where you are going to place them. This way, they are parallel with each other.
4. Embellish if you must. You can try adding lace accents on the hems of the fabric. You can just use fabric glue to attach the lace accent. You can also add fabric jewels or stones for additional décor. Embroidery is also a good option.
5. Now try the door handle cover on.